It is host to the 12th Century Royal Oak Inn, offering excellent food and accommodation, The Bridge Cottage Tea Rooms renowned for their excellent teas, Sunday lunches and accommodation, Halse Farm Caravan and Camp Site which holds the AA 4 Pennant Award and the new Oak Shop.
It is an ancient moorland village, famed for the understated charm of its cottages, its ford, the village green and its eight bridges which span both the River Exe and the Winn brook. One of these bridges namely the Packhorse dates back many hundreds of years and has medieval origins. It is the starting point for miles of moorland walks taking in the local flora and fauna.
Winsford Hill, where the Anchor herd of Exmoor ponies roam freely is the location of the Wambarrows, bronze age burial sites and the standing ‘Caractacus’ stone believed to have been erected by pagan inhabitants of the village as a memorial. The huge Punchbowl is the southernmost geological formation from the last ice age and the ancient clapper bridge at Tarr Steps, on the Barle river is another rarity.
The village appears in the Domesday Book of 1085 which lists the presence of 34 smallholders, 41 villagers, 52 sheep and 9 slaves, the whole area being capable of supporting 64 ploughs, despite 40 acres of it being woodland.
Many of the farms in the village Nethercote, Staddon, Bradley, Halse, Uppcott and Knapsack still today retain their original names since the tax records of 1327.
Winsford has in the past had some famous inhabitants. In 1881 the village was the birthplace of the Labour Politician and Lord Privy Seal, Ernest Bevin and during the 1920’s the leading English psychologist Charles Samuel Myers made his home in Winsford Glebe. On a more romantic note, it was thought that in the 17th century Tom Faggus a highwayman and gentleman was said to have held up travellers near the Inn in Winsford.