West Somerset residents advised to be vigilant after tool thefts
Added on 26 January 2018 at 16:16
We’re asking residents to be vigilant in west Somerset following an increase in tool thefts from vans.
Since the beginning of January 2018 there have been a total of 52 thefts in Minehead, Taunton and Bridgwater. Thieves are forcing their way into vehicles by breaking windows and doors. Victims have reported hand and power tools being taken in the majority of cases.
Sergeant Stuart Williams who’s leading the investigation in Minehead said: “We want to remind all van owners to remove tools from their vehicles overnight and if they are unable to do that to follow some of our simple steps below to prevent them becoming a victim of this crime.
We recommend motorists empty a work van overnight, but if this is not possible you can carry out any of the following steps:
- Permanently mark tools with your business name or postcode to make them identifiable
- Register them at www.immobilise.com
- Keep them inside a secure storage cage or box anchored within the vehicle
- Set the alarm as well as locking the van
- Park in a secure garage or with the doors against a wall or against another vehicle to make access more difficult
- Check out www.soldsecure.com for security products
If you see anyone acting suspiciously around a vehicle in these areas call 101 or if you witness a crime in progress call 999.